Maple City Market
Maple City Market is a standalone grocery that offers a long list of local products: produce, meat, cheese, bread, milk, ferments, bulk foods, groceries, wellness products, and more.
Maple City Market is a stand-alone grocery co-op. What is a Co-op?
A co-op is a business owned by the members in the community that works for the benefit of its owner-members. It is overseen by a member-elected Board of Directors, and day-to-day operations are run by a General Manager. It operates on the Seven Principles of a Co-op:
- Voluntary and open membership
- Democratic member control
- Members economic participation
- Autonomy and independence
- Education, training, and information
- Cooperation among Co-ops
- Concern for community
Maple City market has been a part of the Goshen business community since the 1970’s. We are owned and staffed by members of the community. Our main focus is locally produced and/or organic (and delicious) food, and we work hard to make sure that we are making our members happy. Maple City Market buys products from over 60 local farmers and food producers. When you shop at Maple City Market, you are supporting our community. Everyone Welcome!
Maple City Market Historic Timeline:
- 1975- Goshen College students and faculty form a buying club.
- 1976- Buying club moves into an old car garage & the first paid staff person was hired.
- 1981- Became incorporated under the name “Centre-In Food Co-op.”
- 1981- Moved to a new space at 206 Lincoln Ave. • 1989- Financial and managerial issues led to the creation of the Board of Directors and co-op by-laws.
- 1996- Centre-In purchased and moved into the current building at 314 S. Main St.
- 1997- Financial crisis led to the need for member loans and equity to pay down accounts and stabilize finances.
- 1999-2001- Some growth and improvements began: new grocery shelves, refrigerator and freezer units, new roof, and new bulk bins.
- 2001- Name was changed to Maple City Market.
- 2017 – New Front Windows and Dining Booths added to liven up the store!
Location: 314 S Main St, Goshen, IN
Contact: (574) 534-2355, firstname.lastname@example.org