The Elkhart County Food Council is a collaborative approach facilitating the development of a more sustainable food system that improves food quality and food security for all.
Elkhart County will have a thriving and united community-based food system.
Our Core Values
- Food Access
- Health & Food Education
- Production & Food Economics
Ensure that all residents of Elkhart County have access to healthy and affordable food within a close proximity to their place of residence.
- Expand healthy food retail options
- Convene stakeholders
- Ensure every eligible resident gets access to food assistance
Health & Food Education
Support local programs with a focus on improving healthy eating in Elkhart County.
- Support organizations through data and materials to market health initiatives.
- Reduce health problems associated with poor quality diets.
- Increase knowledge about healthy eating and its benefits, especially among children and young people.
Production & Food Economics
Promote and support sustainable, local food producers and local food businesses in Elkhart County.
- Increase broader community awareness of existing farms, markets, and food businesses that focus on sustainable, local food.
- Support collaborative local food infrastructure and marketing projects.
- Provide ways for local food producers, food entrepreneurs, and markets to connect.
- Increase percentage of household food dollars spent on food grown locally.
- Track and publicize community benefits of local food production and consumption.
- Advocate for policies that support local food production and consumption.